This led me down a merry path involving:
- Discovering that subversion was broken because sqlite is now keg-only.
- Updating and upgrading homebrew.
- Reinstalling xcode command-line tools for Xcode 5.0.1.
- Checking out an older 1.7.10 recipe since my 1.7.9 installation was broken
- Modifying the subversion 1.7.10 recipe to work with 1.7.13 since 1.7.10 is no longer available on the Apache mirrors (change hash, sha)
- Telling Homebrew about Xcode 5.0.1 (modifying macos.rb)
- Reinstalling neon (--universal), serf (--universal), subversion (--java --universal)
- Fixing the Perl bindings for git-svn (using Victor Quinn's instructions, but replacing 5.12 for 5.16)
Every once in a while, enough things collude to fail that you have to dig in deeper in your tool stack, and that's not a terrible thing. I'm just happy that most of the time I can do things like update installed tools easily without having to manage the process myself all the time.